Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Rightless

Don't take me wrong - I am very greateful to this country for giving me home. This is the country with so many rights, my head is spinning. I am very happy here, because this is the land of the brave and etc. I am well aware that I probably wouldn't have my fancy toys in the old country. I get that, but lately I feel like have no rights. I started getting this feeling as soon as I started getting ready to enter the happy kingdom of motherhood.

The company I worked for the last 9 years brought a lawyer who said, Pregnancy is not disability and You can expect any special treatment. My work actually got much harder after I got pregnant.

The idea of leaving 8 week old child and going back to work is not even practising in third world countries, but here we in the Freeland, dropping our bandles of joy and marching with with the rest of the workforce

By the time I got very close to the end of my pregnancy, my company fired enough people to fit themselves under 50 people within 75 miles radius law, which means, they are not obligated to provide you with Family Leave. I was also told that I can try to apply my vacation time, but because they are so shorthanded, they probably will not let me take it. Oh, well - all the years of putting extra hours without pay and bending backwards didn't get paid off. What can I say

Because the company became "50 and under", they also got another very cool right - letting me go while I was still on my materniy leave.
I looked in my bag of tricks and got nothing. I guess, they live in the home of the free and I am in the land of the brave

No comments:

Post a Comment